Saturday, April 16, 2005

Put up time

Today was a day full of meetings - meetings with my advisor and the various members of my committee, which went fairly well and made me feel easier about the prospect of thesis defense one week from today. However, one thing that was said made me a bit uneasy - Dr. Kaiser, my advisor, said that this thesis should be sufficient to receive the Master's degree, but a bit fuzzy to recommend me for PhD work. Since I hope to go on for PhD work eventually, this concerns me. Of course, he said that if there were more time to do more revisions on it, it would be fine. So I hope that his and my tight schedules don't sink any future plans of mine. I'm sure I'd be able to get in for PhD work somewhere, but it may be tough sans a good recommendation from him. Hmmm... Guess that means this is going to be a weekend full of typing and such. Oh well, what else is new? Time to put up.
RD Sack continued his assault on all things postmodern today when he gave his lecture for the Yi Fu Tuan Series (and Dr. Tuan, the 82 lb. yoda-like father of humanistic geography was there himself). Dr. Sack, a lover of the burritos produced by the cafeteria in the Memorial Union, stated that morality is impossible with a postmodern approach. He's probably right, as if we all viewed everything as being morally relative, then anything could be excused. However, I don't think that anyone (or at least not many people) take PoMo that far. I think that I'm a tempered post-modernist. But I don't want to get into that anymore.
The backyard was lovely tonight. And one month from today, Madison will be a memory. Mono no aware, as the Japanese philosophers would say. I enjoy the beauty of the moment, yet am a bit saddened by it, as I know I won't be in it long. And so it goes. BKK will provide plenty of intrigue I know...

No comments: