Friday, March 11, 2005

Just Like Honey...

Just finished watching Lost in Translation with my roommates, Keli and India, and my India's partner and one of my good friends, Nick "DeBauchery" Bauch. Now this is the first time that I've actually sat down and watched the entire movie since I saw it in the Theatre more than one year ago at the Westgate Art Cinema here in Madison, and I was curious how I would respond to it. You see, when I watched it the first time shortly after it was released in October of 2003, my relationship with Atsuko, my last significant other whom I was with in Japan, was on the rocks and nearly done, so it was quite emotional for me to see that movie. At that time, I was feeling very nostalgic for my time in Japan, as I was struggling a bit with the adjustment to graduate school and questioning my decision to come back and wishing that my relationship with her was going better, and seeing this movie didn't really help that. That's my big problem (or one of them, anyway) I think - I tend to remember only the good about the past and forget the struggles and the difficult parts, such as having my feet stepped on constantly at the supermarket, the huge prices on everything, and the impossibility of being comfortable anywhere that was Tokyo life.
Anyway, to get back on task, watching it again was cool because I gave running commentary about the different neighborhoods it was filmed in, what they were doing, what was being said, and so on. And while I did feel nostalgic for Tokyo and missed things like strolling through Ginza and eating Shabu Shabu, it was far easier for me to watch this time. And I still enjoyed the movie - well done!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How sweet is the past, no matter how wrong, or how sad/ How sweet is yesterday's noise --The Southern Cross, Charles Wright