Friday, September 30, 2005

another year

So I was beginning to get sick of the jackfruit. I didn't really want to dig around in it anymore, as getting that sap out is not fun, and it was beginning to smell. So I took it downstairs, ready to throw it out.
As I was about to throw it out, an exceptionally cheery security guard on our campus who always has his typically angry son (probably 2-3 years old) with him saw me. He asked me in Thai where I got it, and then if I had a knife. I answered him, and he told me he would cut it and bring some of it back to me. About two hours later, I went downstairs, and there were two of the quarters of the jackfruit, cut up properly. (see photo.) He kept most of it for himself, which is just fine by me. I ate a bit more of it, and the next day had to run out of an exam I was proctoring with explosive diahrehhea. I don't know for sure that the jackfruit was the cause, but I have had enough of it, so I got rid of the rest. But I'm glad the whole thing wasn't wasted.

This past tuesday was my 28th birthday. Had a nice dinner at Fuji, a Japanese restaurant with some friends. Then last night we had the party at a place called x9. I should've brought a camera with me, as it is quite the spectacle. They have these ridiculous stage shows that were pretty funny, with beautiful people doing remakes of various Thai pop hits. One of my friends had coupons for seven free bottles of scotch that were expiring on Friday, so this was how we chose the spot. People from ten different countries and three of the six continents were there. And since proctoring is now finished (praise Jesus for that one,) we were all in a good mood. So it was a great time.

I used a steam room on the campus the other day. What a redundancy - having a steam room in Bangkok. It's like having a meat locker in Antarctica. You don't really notice the diference inside of and outside of the room.

Other than that, life is good. Correcting lots of tests next week, which won't be fun, but as soon as I finish them, I'm off to Krabi. Hail progress!

No comments: