Sunday, July 31, 2005

Back in the Big Mango

When I was living in Tokyo, the thing I always hated about vacation was that it ended, and the prospects of going from laid-back SE Asia back to the hyper-paced concrete jungle of Tokyo was rather depressing. Which could be the best thing about working in Bangkok - when your vacation is over, you get to come back to Bangkok. It's almost like there's no end to the vacation, in a way...

Hua Hin has a rather nice beach, and it was nice to chill there for a couple of days, drink the juice out of coconuts and eat super-fresh seafood. Unfortunately, one could rent jet skis, sailboats, banana boats, horses, and just about every other kind of transport on this beach, but kayaks were not to be found. So it goes. I may have to head down to Krabi the next time I have a few days off (which will be in less than two weeks) just to get my fix...

One other thing I forgot to mention about my trip to Sangklaburi was that on the bus, there were only six people, including the driver and conductor. There were more on the way back, but the interesting thing was that Thai Immigration and military authorities boarded the bus twice and checked everyone's documents (except for mine.) Looking for undocumented migrants, it appears. It's like seeing my thesis in action. Interesting...

One of my co-workers was so drunk a week or so ago that he passed out in front of 7-11 and used a stray dog as a pillow. Thankfully, I was not on that expedition.

Hail progress!

1 comment:

Breathing said...

Ah yes, Krabi. The good old days of southern thailand. Have you been to Hat Rai Lay, yet? it is yummy.