Sunday, July 17, 2005

The Cush

I've begun to realize just how cushy of a job I've landed. It's almost ridiculous, and if it wasn't so sweet, I'd be rather embarrassed by it. First of all, as mentioned before, I only work three days a week. those are a full three days, and when you include the commute time I'm going for ten hours per day on those days. But still, it's only three days per week. I work Monday and Tuesday, and then I have Wednesday and Thursday off, work Friday, and then have Saturday and Sunday off. So I have two weekends. In addition, every six weeks or so I get at least two weeks of fully paid vacation. We have to proctor exams during the testing period, but we can pick our days and have them all at the end so we can maximize travel time. In addition, housing, insurance, and travel to and from Thailand are all part of the package. It may not pay the best, but if it weren't for the massive student loan debt I've accrued, I'd consider doing this forever...

Played a fun trick on my students the other day. I did a listening task with them, where I wrote a few questions on the board and had them listen to answer them. The song I played was Frank Sinatra's "New York, New York," and I asked a few questions such as "when is he leaving?" and "What kind of city does he want to live in?" However, instead of playing Sinatra, I played this 1991 heavy metal song by a band called Ministry. The song is called "Jesus Built my Hotrod," and 95% of it is incomprehensible gibberish. The looks on their faces were indescribeable. I said "just joking," and then played Sinatra as promised, which they responded quite well to.

Hail progress!

No comments: