Friday, August 12, 2005

Crash

Apologies for the long time between postings, but my computer is in the shop now. It's been having some troubles, and I fear the worst, so it may be a while before I can post any pictures...

One of my favorite activities here in Bangkok has been going to movies. I don't know why I love going to movies so much here. Perhaps it's because a ticket only costs 100 Baht ($2.50,) or the anthem to the king where they make him appear as a semi-divine being (i.e. - they seem to imply that he's responsible for bringing the rain, as this short film shows a farmer standing in his parched field as a downpour begins,) or perhaps it's the sweetened popcorn they sell at the concession stand. I'm not sure what it is, but I love going, and in my 10 weeks or so that I've been here, I've already seems something like seven movies, including some really bad ones that I wouldn't dream of seeing back in the US, such as The Longest Yard, The War of the Worlds, and The Island. However, I've seen some pretty good ones, too, such as Crash and The Machinist. Yesterday, the Thai movie called Tom Yam Goong opened, and I was there. (Tom Yam Goong, by the way, is a very spicy Thai soup with shrimp that has become one of my favorite foods here - I eat at least four bowls every week.) This is a sort of martial arts movie staring Tony Ja, the star of Ong-Bak, who is Thailand's Jackie Chan. Some pretty impressive fighting sequences, but the plot was rather ridiculous.

No classes today, as it is the birthday of Her Majesty The Queen Sikrit here in the land formerly known as Siam. The Thai people use this day to express their appreciation to their mothers. So, I'll do the same. Love ya, Momma!

Other than that, just correcting papers and trying to stay ahead. Hail progress!

No comments: