Sunday, February 17, 2008

The Horror, The Horror

(Note: I first typed this last Thursday, but didn't publish it until now, February 17. Sorry for any confusion.)

So today is the darkest day of the year (even though the weather was beautiful here,) Valentine's Day. Oh, the horrible corruption of the day that has been inflicted since that day over 1700 years ago when the Roman Emperor Claudius II ordered St. Valentine executed for illegally marrying people (according to legend.) So, this evening, I will adhere to my personal tradition, which includes Smirnov, powdered donuts, and war movies (although I'm saddened that I can't find my copy of Apocalypse Now.)

Other than that, I haven't yet written on this here blog in 2008, so I might as well. Lots is happening. We have perhaps the most interesting race for the presidency in at least 40 years (but hopefully this one is interesting in a good way,) and I'm very excited for it. I'm partial to Obama, and would've voted for him in the California "Super Tuesday" primary had I known how to (a little complicated if you're listed as an independent and voting absentee, which undoubtedly helped Hillary win this state,) but I've always respected McCain. I think it will be a good election that will be feature a far, far more intelligent discourse than we had four years ago.

I've also been watching lots of movies of late, perhaps because I don't know many people yet, but at least partially because there have simply been so many really good ones that have come out in the past several months. The Oscars are coming out, and I've seen all five movies nominated for Best Picture. If I were voting, I'd vote for No Country for Old Men. The bad guy in this movie was so good, that I actually had a nightmare about him the other day. See it, if you haven't!

I'll include a few pictures of a hike I took a week ago. Also, I went to the beach and Japantown today, so I'll include a few of those pics, too. Enjoy!

No comments: