Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Life by the Bay

Ralph Waldo Emerson once said, "California has nicer days, and more of them, than any place on Earth." Now, coming into the Bay Area about a month ago from Thailand in the midst of the hot season, I didn't find that to be exactly true, especially the first day I went into San Francisco. There's another quote that seems more adept from my point of view: Mark Twain once said, "The coldest winter I've ever spent was a summer in San Francisco." And this picture, taken at AT&T Park, during a Giants game, shows how I felt there that day.


However, it is a lovely city, despite it's temperature handicap. And in the East Bay, where I spend most of my time, the temperature is far more pleasant - in the 80's and 90's every day. Going into San Francisco feels like going from Spain to London, as I imagine it would be, only in about forty minutes. These are some pictures I've taken.


It's really weird seeing palm trees in such a cold place.

Alcatraz - "The Rock."

A view of the city from the S.S. Universe, the new Semester at Sea ship which I visited for a reception a few weeks ago.

Coit Tower, on Telegraph Hill.


A large cargo ship.

The Bay Bridge,

Some cool looking building in downtown Oakland. I like Oakland a lot - it's warmer than San Francisco, and more down to earth. It has a cool Chinatown as well. I'll probably live there eventually.

The Bart Platform in Oakland - the main way I get around.



More of San Francisco.

The Golden Gate Bridge

Some old tall ship in the harbor in San Fran.




Another view of the Bay Bridge.

Angry Jonny. My soon-to-be married brother.


Next stop - the Neighborhood of Make Believe!

Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl. A true San Francisco food.

Old Victorian Houses.

Interesting paint job


Counter-culture, anyone?

Hail Progress!

No comments: